A new scheme of Adult Education (Padhna Likhna Abhiyaan) has been approved by the Hon’ble HRM as a centrally sponsored scheme with financial outlay of Rs.224.95 crore including central share of Rs.148.74 crore and State Share of Rs.76.21 crore and physical target of 57 lakh learners to be made literate for implementation in FY 2020-21 with immediate effect.
The unique features of the scheme include the following:
- The focus of the programme shall be on Basic Literacy component in a four months cycle; priority will be given to aspirational districts.
- The programme will cover both rural and urban areas, target and budget of States/UTs is indicated in Annexure with details in the enclosed Operational Guidelines. States/UTs will distribute targets to Districts.
- The scheme shall have a flexible approach and innovative methodologies such as involving school and college students and other volunteers of NCC, NSS and NYKS, for imparting Basic Literacy.
- There will be a Project Approval Board (PAB) at the national level to approve the Annual Plans of States/UTs. Secretaries of Education will present their Annual Plans, based on district plans, on the portal being developed by NIC, in the PAB meetings.
- Convergence with projects of M/o Rural Development (MGNREGA), Skill Development, Culture, Information Technology, Finance, Sports and Youth Welfare (NYK), schemes of NCC and NSS, NGOs/Civil Society & CSR sector may be taken up.
- Formation and involvement of SHGs, Voluntary & User Groups and other community based organizations may be encouraged.
- Basic Literacy Assessment under the scheme will be conducted by National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) for adult learners, thrice a year.
The operational guidelines of the scheme have been prepared. An online portal pla.mhrd.gov.in has also been developed for monitoring the scheme.