Background: The centrally sponsored “National Scheme of Incentive to Girls for Secondary Education (NSIGSE)” was launched in May 2008, to give incentive to students enrolled in class IX. The scheme is now boarded on National Scholarship Portal (NSP).
Objective: The objective of the scheme is to establish an enabling environment to promote enrolment and reduce drop out of girls belonging to SC/ST communities in secondary schools and ensure their retention up to the 18 years of age.
Coverage: The scheme covers (i) all girls belonging to SC/ST communities who pass class VIII and (ii) all girls who pass class VIII examination from Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalayas (irrespective of whether they belong to SC/ ST), and enroll in class IX in State/ UT Government, Government-aided and Local Body schools.
Incentive Amount: A sum of Rs.3000/- is deposited in the name of eligible unmarried girls as fixed deposit on enrolment in class IX, who are entitled to withdraw it along with interest thereon upon reaching 18 years of age and passing Class X examination.
- Girls students who pass class VIII and are enrolled in class IX in State/ UT Government, Government-aided and Local Body schools and belonging to SC/ST communities
- All girls who pass class VIII examination from Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalayas (irrespective of whether they belong to SC/ ST)
The NSIGSE is on-board on the National Scholarship Portal (NSP), which has been developed by Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) for streamlining and fast tracking the release of Scholarships across Ministries / Departments with efficiency, transparency and reliability.
Application and Processing :
- (i) To apply for NSIGSE, students from different States and UTs, who pass class VIII and enrol in class IX in Government, Government-aided and Local Body schools must register themselves on NSP.
- (ii) The applications are verified online on the portal by the prescribed State authorities.
- (iii) The final list of eligible candidates, complete in all respect, is provided to the Ministry by NSP Team for sanction of the scholarship.
- (iv) The Ministry of HRD thereafter sanctions funds and releases to the Indian Bank and Union Bank of India, the implementing banks for the Scheme.
- (v) The banks disburse the scholarships/incentive to students directly by electronic transfer into their bank accounts under Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) through Public Financial Management System (PFMS).
Re-designing: The NSIGSE Scheme is being re-designed to implement it in a more effective way.